Data Privacy and Protection Policy
In compliance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2019, we would like to secure your consent on the general use and sharing of data obtained from you in the course of your transaction(s) with Atlancis Technologies or from third parties representing your interests in the course of transacting with us. This data, which includes your personal information, may be collected, processed, stored, updated, or disclosed by Atlancis Technologies
(i) for legitimate purposes
(ii) to implement transactions which you request, allow, or authorize
(iii) to offer and provide new or related products and services of Atlancis Technologiess or third parties, and
(iv) to comply with Atlancis Technologies internal policies and its reporting obligations to governmental authorities under applicable laws.
Your consent will allow Atlancis Technologies to collect, process, use, store, or disclose your data internally within the organization’s departments, to governmental authorities, and to third parties, as may be necessary.
- Data Privacy and Protection Policy
We value your business and we know your privacy is important to you. Accordingly, we have implemented this Privacy Notice which describes, how we collect and use personal information that you provide to us via our websites, Apps, or digital forms; what we do with the information collected; and how you can exercise your privacy rights.
This Privacy Notice applies only to the information we collect in respect to your account and does not apply to the content that you store on any of our systems, including any personal information. Atlancis will not disclose, move, access or use customer content except as provided under Atlancis’ Services terms and conditions, and our data processing legal framework
1.1.What personal data we collect
1.1.1 Information you provide to us
When requesting to use any of Atlancis’ Services, we may ask you to provide personal information to us. For example, when you create a user account on any of our websites, we will ask you for your email address and to create a password. We may also ask for your phone number for purposes such as two-factor verification or for sending you service alerts. If you choose to sign up for any of our Services, we will ask you for billing information. At times we may ask for other information such as your name or the name of your company, KRA PIN and Physical address.
During your interaction with Atlancis, you may choose to provide us with personal information when you email us, chat with us, answer a survey, comment on our blog, or communicate with us through social media services like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook or Instagram.
1.1.2 Information that we collect automatically
When you use any of our online Services, we may collect certain information automatically from and about your device. This includes data about your software, the operating system you use when accessing our service, your Internet Protocol address and the date and time of each request you make. In the event you use our cloud backup services, we will also receive information such as the names of external drives, file types transferred, and number and size of files transferred.
Collecting this information enables us to better diagnose problems with our products, provide customer support more effectively, inform you about operating systems we no longer support as well as ensure the continuous functionality of our products.
1.1.3 Information that we collect from third parties
We may collect additional information about you from third parties primarily to assist us in understanding how we can maintain and improve the services we offer to better serve you. Third party tools that we use for this are from: Optimizely, which records a user’s clicks and enables Atlancis to test different versions of its websites; HotJar, which is used to record where people move their mouse on key web pages; and Google Analytics which informs Atlancis about page visits which in turn allows us to decide if we need to update certain pages. SurveyMonkey, which Atlancis uses to distribute surveys, which users can voluntarily complete, will collect a user’s IP address.
1.1.4 What we do with your personal information
Under no circumstances do we rent, trade or share your address or e-mail address with any other company for their marketing purposes without your consent. We may use the information we collect through our products for a number of reasons, including to:
- Provide, operate, optimize and maintain our online platforms, products and services.
- Understand how you use our products and customize your experience.
- Set up online accounts.
- Process, fulfill and provide any updates on online orders.
- Send you marketing communications we think you’ll find valuable, where it is in accordance with your preferences.
- Provide customer support via online chat services; deal with your online enquiries and requests sent by email; and provide you with information and access to resources or services that you have requested from us.
- Improve the layout, navigation and content of our online products.
- Identify any server problems or other IT or network issues.
- Prevent abuse of the products and services we offer; and
- Carry out other legitimate business purposes, such as to improve our products and services, as well as other lawful purposes about which we will notify our users and clients.
1.2 Email Communications
From time to time, Atlancis will communicate with you via email. There are two types of email you may receive:
- a. Service Emails: These are service related emails such as confirmation of password change, expiration of credit card, or a reply to a support issue. You cannot opt out of receiving these messages as they are part of the service which Atlancis provides to you. You can manage certain Service Emails by signing in to your Account. To stop receiving all Service Emails, you must cancel the service and uninstall all Atlancis’ software from your devices.
- b. Marketing Emails: These will include Atlancis company news, tips-and-tricks, service promotions (e.g., refer-a-friend) and similar types of material. Upon creating an account on any of Atlancis online platforms, you will be able to manage your email preferences, including opting out of receiving all Marketing Emails. You will also be able to unsubscribe at any time by using the unsubscribe link provided in any given email.
1.3 Who we share your information with
We may share and disclose your personally identifiable information only in the limited circumstances described below:
- To vendors and other third party service providers who require access to your personal information to assist in providing and improving our products. The third parties that access and use your information only on our behalf include companies such as Payment aggregators iPay, Salesforce, Google Analytics, Freshbooks, Facebook, Twitter, Hubspot, MailChimp, Plivo, Slack, SurveyMonkey, SendGrid, Twillio, and ZenDesk. For example, we partner with iPay and Safaricom to assist us in processing your payment; Mailchimp enables us to send you marketing emails, subject to your preferences; SendGrid is used to communicate service emails to you; Cloud and Safaricom are used to send SMS messages to you when you use our 2-factor authentication feature; and Atlancis Support is used to facilitate our customer support and online Chat service.
- We may also disclose your information to third parties: (a) where required by law or regulatory requirement, court order or other judicial authorization, (b) in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including for the purposes of meeting national security and law enforcement requirements; (c) in connection with the sale, transfer, merger, bankruptcy, restructuring or other reorganization of a business; (d) to protect or defend our rights, interests or property, or that of third parties; (e) to investigate any wrongdoing in connection with our products and services; and (f) to protect the vital interests of an individual.
1.4 To any other person with your consent
If you use our services as part of a business, group, or organization where any of our online services was set up by an administrator, the administrator may be able to access and control your account. Refer to your organization’s internal policies for more information.
1.5 Legal basis for processing your personal information
(Kenyan visitors/customers only)
If you are a visitor/customer located in Kenya our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. We will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, or where the processing is in our legitimate business interests. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to enter into a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information). Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate business interests, we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate business interests are.
All of the data usage is in accordance with Kenya, Data Protection Act 2019.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact us using the contact details provided under the ‘Contact‘ heading.
1.6 Cookies and similar tracking technology
1.7 International data transfers
Your personal information is stored and processed by us in Kenya. Specifically, your personal and non-personal information will be transferred to our Cloud platform “Servernah Cloud” for storage and processing in Kenya.
1.8 How we protect your information
The security of your personal information is very important to us.
When you enter personal information such as a credit card number on our website or via our App we encrypt that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). For purchases made online with credit cards, we receive your credit card number in encrypted form, and transfer it to our credit card processor, iPay Africa, for processing. Our employees do not have access to this information. We do not store PIN data or 3-digit security codes.
We use appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your personal information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration and destruction, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
1.9 Your data protection rights & choices
In accordance with Kenya Data Protection Act 2019, sections 25 – 37, you have the following rights:
- If you wish to access your personal information that Atlancis collects, you can do so at any time by contacting us using the contact details provided under ‘Contact us’ heading.
- You can correct, update or request deletion of your details in your Account by logging in to your Account. You can also contact us using the contact details provided under under ‘Contact us’ heading in order to request that your data is deleted.
- If you are a resident of Kenya, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information where it is technically possible. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details below.
- Similarly, if we have collected and processed your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information.
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. Alternatively, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your complete name and e-mail address. Note that it may take up to 3 business days to remove you from our marketing lists and after this point you will still receive Service Emails from us.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws in Kenya.
1.10 How we link to other websites
Our Website contains links to third party websites and third party plug-ins (such as social media sharing buttons) operated by other companies. We are not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites. We encourage you to be aware that when you leave our site you read the privacy notices of such other websites. This Privacy Notice applies solely to information collected by Atlancis.
1.11 Data retention
We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfil the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law, for legal, tax or regulatory reasons, or other lawful purposes.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
1.12 Changes to our Privacy Notice
Changes to this Privacy Notice will be made when required in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. When we update our Privacy Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. We will obtain your consent to any material Privacy Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws.
You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Notice. The new Privacy Notice will apply to all current and past users of our websites and will replace any prior notices that are inconsistent with Kenyan Law.